This quote by Neil Gaiman has been making the social media rounds lately, and I love it a little bit more every time I see it.
First, it starts with Magic, one of my favorites. A word which conjures an image of it silently following me around like a friendly, surreptitious shadow. I kind of want to randomly wave hello at the wind and walls in case magic is hiding nearby contemplating when might be a good time to appear.
Even better, the quote ends with surprise. It’s empowering that I can surprise myself. I’m not waiting. Any moment I get to choose when to push myself out of my comfort zone, dance on my edge, leap into the unknown believing that I will glide to a soft, perfect landing. (If you haven’t noticed, I often play mix and match with metaphors. Go with it.)
While impressively articulate, Mr Gaiman hasn’t exactly cornered the market in new year wishes. Now it’s my turn.
May 2015 be filled with…
- Silly words, belly laughs, and delightful happenstance.
- Generous deeds done by us, and on our behalf.
- Balance — work and play, lightness and sincerity, long walks and afternoon naps in the sun.
May 2015 find you, me, us…
- Holding onto the good things, so when not-so-good things happen we are comforted, and know that more good is around the corner.
- Surrounded by people who unabashedly love us, and who we love back.
- Seizing perfectly-timed opportunities with gusto.
- With more answers than questions, and at ease with both.
As I type, I can feel other wishes bubbling to the surface, eager to be included, but I think it’s time give others a chance.
What is your wish for 2015?